Re: XP Questions

Tom Ryan (tomr@scitechsoft.com)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 00:09:00 -0700

> Golly, gee wiz. Seems like I stepped on some toes. Didn't mean to,
> that is for sure. I'm sorry for sending you such an inane post. I thought
> you might be interested in what I, a user, thought.

I presumed that this was the AbiWord developers mailing list
(abiword-dev@abisource.com), so this list is primarily for
discussion about development-related topics. The usual etiquette is
that users are free to make suggestions or comment on user-
related topics. Development tools are not one of those topics that
users can intelligently comment upon, thus prudence would dictate
that they abstain from that particular discussion.

To explain this development issue from a users perspective, if the
AbiWord project did not have to worry about XP issues, I can
guarantee that you would have a more feature rich, solid piece of
software and it would be out sooner.

> Obviously, it
> looks like you weren't looking for feedback from the general populace of
> users. Maybe in the future you should mark your questions or suggestions
> as for the "core" developers only, so you wouldn't face "inane" comments
> like mine.

It is frustrating when one gets comments about highly technical
topics (on the developers mailing list) from those who either do not
understand the technologies being discussed, or who have not
investigated those technologies before commenting about them.
My frustration showed in my response.

> I don't agree with you that
> there is some limited pool of effort that can be wasted.

Tell that to the wxWindows team. They need developers! BeOS
developers out there? You are needed. OS/2? etc, etc, etc.

> The wheel is
> constantly being reinvented in real life and I don't exactly see how
> programing, logic, or any other human activity is any different.

You should take an economics course sometime to augment your
philosophy courses. :) It might enlighten you as to the nature of
limited resources (supply) and unlimited wants (demand). Or
perhaps you are a student of Marx?

> Obviously we disagree. I know only hearsay about wxWindows and I am
> interested in learning more about it.

You can learn more hard facts about wxWindows at
http://www.wxwindows.org. The web is just great for doing
background research.

> Obviously, you are pretty sure that it is near to being very, very good.

Yes. My company is using wxWindows to enable our products to
support more platforms. We only wish that the effort had more
development resources so that the wxWindows developers could
do all the great things that they have planned.

Good day,

-TR
| SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software -- Today! |
| Tom Ryan, Director of Marketing | Ph/FAX: 530-894-8400/530-894-9069 |
| SciTech Software, Inc. | Email : TomR@scitechsoft.com |
| 505 Wall Street | ftp : ftp.scitechsoft.com |
| Chico, CA 95928 | www : http://www.scitechsoft.com |