Re: XP Questions

Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 08:47:56 -0500

Jeff Hostetler wrote:
> we looked at wxWindows about a year ago, but at the time it wasn't ready
> for our needs. they've come a long way since then and if we were starting
> from scratch today, our answer might be different....

Tom Ryan wrote:

Robert G. Werner wrote:

gentlemen, please, let me rephrase.

we spent a calendar month porting and testing a very early (~0.1.0)
version of AbiWord to wxWindows and had it (no offense guys) limping
along on unix and win32. but it just wasn't ready for prime time.
we ripped it out and went with the XP strategy that we have now.

and as i said before, if we were starting from scratch today, we
would seriously evaluate it (again) and this time we might go with it.

eric has posed an interesting challenge -- have someone do a port
to wxWindows and get it running on unix, win32, and beos at a similar
level of functionality and then let's compare 'em -- winner take all.
it'd sure make my life easier, i can't tell you how many days i've
spent on this project dancing between 2 keyboards -- hacking win32
before lunch and x11 after lunch or vice versa :-)

jeff