Re: commit -- #512 fixed

Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:31:05 -0500

At 02:04 PM 7/22/99 -0500, Robert Sievers wrote:
>At 01:49 PM 7/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Fixed #501 and #512 by modifying character table so as to map all
>characters to a value below 256. Curly quotes still do not work, but at
>least now they don't crash RTF import.

you should file a bug report on this fix :-)

lquote and friends should go to the unicode x20xx
chars -- but for now need to be mapped to latin-1
until we get the correct fix for this.

>The RTF importer was passing the characters along ok, but the rest of the
>code couldn't quite handle it. So as someone who isn't a full time
>programmer, what does it take now to handle these characters such as
>\rquote, \lquote and \bullet? I know the piece table is set up to work in
>groups of 2 bytes. Is this a 1-hour or 1-month job?

give those two scale factors, i'd say 1-month.

the problem you saw is in the formatter -- it is computing character
widths for display using an array[256] of font metrics. **but** before
anyone goes and tries a 's/256/65536/g', i'll say that fixing this code
and the assert is just the beginning of a larger set of changes. eric
has a set of notes on these which i need to dig up.

jeff