RE: Help & Manuals

Nathan Taylor (Nathan.Taylor@gknwaea.co.uk)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:19:50 +0100

My suggestion for different tasks is as follows -

HELP BASED AROUND MENU COMMANDS AVAILABLE - BASICS

Basic editing & formatting commands & shortcuts
(Allignment, Font Style & Size)
Overview of Keyboard shortcuts
Opening, Saving & Loading / Search & Replace
"How to" do what there aren't commands yet to do ;-)
(such as tabs, columns, spacing)

INFORMATION WHICH MAY BE OF INTEREST - INFO
(NOT RELATED TO HOW TO USE)

Open Source background
AbiSource & AbiWord background
Volunteering to help
Suggestions for promoting
Overview of Currently Implemented Features
& List of those lacking (but which are listed as menu commands)

INFORMATION & FILES USEFUL TO USER - ADVANCED

Templates - Memo, Letter, Fax, & Newsletter
Standard 'secretarial, school & business' rules for setting up documents
(I've never seen this on WP help before, but people do ask about it)
Basic Grammar rules (I know this is unusual too, but we want Abiword to be
unique ;-)

I've been playing around with Templates (very basic of course), and one or
two of the other ideas, and wouldn't mind people taking their pick of what
interests them. I have no problem with using HTML or Window Help format,
and can use part Screenshots / examples with either, etc.

Nathan
BTW, it would be good if those of us working on this could have some
dialogue & info from those working on the actual manual.