Re: directory structure

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:16:58 -0700

At 07:49 PM 6/18/99 -0600, Matt Kimball wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 11:17:58AM -0500, Shaw Terwilliger wrote:
>> Tree navigation is probably the first obstacle; we've got a very
>> layered project tree which lets us keep our classes in order for
>> cross application frame- work code, WP (word processor) application
>> code, and platforms at each level (xp == cross platform, unix, beos,
>> win32, mac). Swinging through the tree takes some time but soon you
>> should be able to get around to the layer you need.
>
>I've been wondering a bit about this. Are there some guidelines as to
>where to put new packages?
>
>Hypothetically speaking, if someone write some classes to draw vector
>graphics to some xp pixmap class, and then another set of classes to
>parse and render SVG using those drawing classes, where would one
>stuff this type of thing? As another top-level directory in the
>source tree?

Hypothetically speaking, probably. :-)

If you think those classes would be useful for other applications besides a
word processor (for example, charting features in a spreadsheet), then
making a new top-level directory makes sense. For example, that's what we
started doing with abi/src/text, on the theory that a variant of the
underlying engine could also be used as a basis for a presentation graphics
package.

One thing to watch out for would be coming up with a good name that avoids
confusion with the af/gr classes.

Paul