Re: suggestions & observations

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:22:54 -0500

patrick@freeware.org wrote:
> I for one would. Many "add-on" file managers can make use of the
> extension information... E.g. kde and Gnome. Plus, it's useful
> information that is easily removed, but not easily reconstructed.

The question that remains for me is how to do this. Personally,
I don't like applications which tack on anything to the file name
after I've typed it. If I typed "foo" I want "foo", nothing else.
The Gimp, and other helpful applications, will (during save time,
in the dialog) append the proper suffix to your string ("foo")
_if_ you explicitly select a file type from the drop down list.
I would be in favor of having AbiWord do similar.

The basic concept is that whatever's in that entry box should
always be the file name, nothing more, nothing less--the program
shouldn't corrupt that string after "OK" but before fopen().

--
Shaw Terwilliger