AbiWord and PostScript Type 1

Pawee Lorsuwannarat (pawee@softhome.net)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 14:35:43 +0700

Hello there

I think this might be related to AbiWord's feature:

I've problem with using PostScript Type 1 fonts (fonts other than
abi-fonts.tar.gz, converted from TTF with Macromedia Fontographer v4.0,
font encoding is "fontspecific") with AbiWords.

AbiWord couldn't print the document:
The cases which AbiWord will not print, that I've found, are here:
1. PFB fonts is used, AbiWords gives no error DEBUG message, but no
data sent to printer.
2. Metrics font (.afm) contains a character(s) with its code of
"-1". (If fonts is converted from TTF with Unicode, this will happen to
all characters with code above 255)
3. Metrics font contains no "StartKernData" and "EndKernData",
AbiWord will give DEBUG message saying "Premature EOF when pharsing
metrics file" or something and "Printing will not continue"

Fonts showing on screen are different to the printed ones:
I don't know why is this happened, since all of fonts that I have, can
be used with StarOffice, completely correct. My fonts also consist of
characters other than English, within code range of 255.
All characters show on screen correctly, but only English characters
printed out correctly. I've tried
4-5 different fonts and all of them contain the same pairs of mismatch
screen/printer characters.

Since StarOffice is too load, so I prefer AbiWord word; anybody
could give me suggestion? or should I expected this to be fixed in later
version?

Thank you
Pawee Lorsuwannarat