Re: bookmark idea

Micah Yoder (LYoder@cyberis.net)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:38:50 -0800

Paul Rohr wrote:

> I was actually asking a more fundamental question -- what would the UI look
> like if they *could* be seen in place? Would you reflow the layout to
> insert them in place (kind of like hidden text), or are they a peripheral
> decoration either inline (like squiggles for misspelled words, or underlines
> for hyperlinks) or in the margins?

We should probably have a bookmark icon in the margins. It doesn't
really belong in the text. Bookmarking a line is probably the way to
go. Bookmarking a word doesn't even make that much sense.

Given that, it probably doesn't even make sense to allow turning them
off. Nothing wrong with them always showing in the margins.

> >> - Should the bookmark get removed when you delete text near it?
> >
> >Tough call. I'd say no, but could be convinced otherwise.
>
> But it *would* go away if you delete a span of text which surrounds it,
> right?

Probably.

> >> - Are bookmarks atomic, or can they be split?
> >
> >I'm not quite sure what you mean here...
>
> Say I allow a single bookmark to span the phrase "these three words". What
> happens to that bookmark when I cut "three words" and paste 'em at the
> bottom of the document? Do I have one bookmark or two? If only one, where
> is it? Then I cut "these" and move it to the top. Where's my bookmark now?

I'd say bookmarks should only be effected by line operations. Deleting
a whole line would *probably* delete the bookmark. Copying it would
leave the bookmark only where it was. Moving a line involves deleting
and pasting, so it would be gone.

That might be a good option: Preferences->Deleting line of bookmark
deletes bookmark?

> >OK... also remember that it should be an option whether or not to save
> >the bookmark to disk. Will this be easy to implement? I'm not entirely
> >clueful on XML. I assume we'd need to do something with that.
>
> The hard part is figuring out how to represent the marker in the document so
> that it behaves "predictably" or "intuitively" during whatever edits the
> user makes. Saving it is easy.

Later,
Micah