Re: AbiWord 0.5.2

James (jamesl@albany.net)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:55:44 -0500

As a long time windows user, and also a user of other OS's (Linux, MacOS) I
have to say that the registry under windows should be avoided when
possible. I have seen far too many crashes under windows trash the registry
- and programs that don't depend on it often survive the crash unscathed...

You could create a directory based upon the user - determine the name of
the currently logged on user in both 9x and NT - use that to create a
Subdir off of Abi's own program dir and store that users prefs in that
directory? This would be possible under most OS's I think - but then again
I'm not sure <g>

How does that sound?

Jim

At 11:31 AM 3/22/99 -0600, you wrote:

>i'm not sure what to do....
>
>on NT, there's a \WINNT\Profiles\jeff\Application Data\
>directory. but i've yet to find system call to give me
>that pathname -- surely i don't have to guess/construct
>this one myself....
>
>on 95/98 there's the windows-system and the windows
>directory.
>
>on a network-install, some of those directories are
>on the server and some are local.
>
>if AbiWord is installed on the network server, you
>won't have write access to the directory.
>
>there should be one file per user -- not that any of these
>OS'es are multi-user systems, but sometimes they try to be....
>
>there's the registry -- just say no!
>
>any thoughts or suggestions anyone ??
>jeff
[snip]