Re: AbiWord 0.5.2

Darren Benham (gecko@benham.net)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:38:02 -0800

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 11:31:38AM -0600, Jeff Hostetler wrote:

> i'm not sure what to do....
>
> on NT, there's a \WINNT\Profiles\jeff\Application Data\
> directory. but i've yet to find system call to give me
> that pathname -- surely i don't have to guess/construct
> this one myself....
>
> on 95/98 there's the windows-system and the windows
> directory.
>
> on a network-install, some of those directories are
> on the server and some are local.
>
> if AbiWord is installed on the network server, you
> won't have write access to the directory.
>
> there should be one file per user -- not that any of these
> OS'es are multi-user systems, but sometimes they try to be....
>
> there's the registry -- just say no!
>
> any thoughts or suggestions anyone ??
Sure... my back ground is 3.1/95/98 branch... I'd stick with abiword.ini
stored in a local directory C:\abiword. If it's a network, force a
"network setup" similar to what amipro does.. (basicly, create's a local
copy of the .ini file and a pointer to it in win.ini).

If you did that for windows, would it work for NT? The fact of the matter
is, windows is NOT multi-user. No reason to try to force something
unnatural.

However, if you really really want to emmulate that... then have sections
[user1] [user2] for things that might change between users and a way to
select a config option on the commandline or after startup. In fact,
taking this route, I'd have the standard "default" set up and any "user"
that want's to override a setting can put just that setting into the [user]
section.

This might even be doable under the current system if the Linux version is
any indication... isn't there a plan to allow different configureations
that can be chosen between? (right now my .abiwordrc file as a
"__my_set__" and a "__builtin__" set)