Re: AbiWord 0.5.2

Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:53:04 -0600

At 10:20 AM 3/22/99 -0800, Darren Benham wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 03:59:06PM -0800, Darren Benham wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 02:26:49PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
>> > 1. Jeff expanded the XAP framework to add mechanisms for XP preferences
>> > (stored in an XML file, of course) and XP StringSets (for localizing
>> > messages, etc.). Among the new preference settings now honored are:
>> >
>> > - whether to autospell, what dictionary to use, where it is
>> > - toolbar/menu layouts and styles
>> > - ruler units (in, cm, pi, pt)
>> > - etc.
>> Is there documentation for this that I missed somewhere or will I have to
>> dig in the code to find it?
>>
>I'm still having problems. Are there any hardcoded paths that might be
>different from my system and yours?
>
>Spellchecking isn't working AT ALL (at the LWE, I saw atleast color
>highlighting and I *think* it was on the linux version).

yes, it should work.

in your .abiword file, there is UnixISpellDirectory="/usr/lib/ispell"
and SpellCheckWordList="american.hash". we do a sprintf "%s/%s" on
these 2 to construct a pathname to the file containing the dictionary.

confirm that that's where the .hash file is. you might try a
'locate american.hash' and see what it finds....

>> > 3. Shaw got in some more improvements to the Word importer, and
handed it
>> > off to Justin, who's working on a cleaner implementation. (Just say
no to
>> > dual-importer strategies which do memory-intensive tricks with XML
buffers.)
>> Especially this. I wanted to test various word97 documents I have floating
>> around here to see how it is...
>I've been unable to import any word documents. I keep getting error
>importing file.doc.

are they word97 or word95 ?? apparently, the file formats are
vastly different.... if they are 97, i'll defer to Shaw....

>And now I'll add a third question, are any graphics formats supported for
>import? I'm not a big graphics person so I don't have a large assortment
>to test with, so I thought I'd ask. But I've had the question thrown at me
>a few times.

we support PNG in the our file format, but i'll let eric elaborate
on our importers.

hope this helps,
jeff