Re: 0.5.2 tarball

Darren O. Benham (gecko@benham.net)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:35:37 -0800

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 05:15:15AM +0100, Drazen Kacar wrote:
> Eric W. Sink wrote:
> > Please bear in mind that there was more than a little humor
> > inserted in our previous messages on this subject. :-)
> >
> > More seriously: We're not saying "This is hard, so we should
> > be afraid of it". We're saying, "This is so hard that it's
> > not worth doing."
>
> I can second this. Once upon a time I was working on Lynx development
> and even then HTML was a *big* mess. "Big" browsers were even not
> handling HTTP correctly and nobody ever handled HTML as it should have
> been handled (except for Lynx and Grail, of course :-)
>
> Exporting HTML might not be too hard (although it's not easy), but
> reading it is a nightmare.

Not to be arguing that it should/should not done (I think Eric said it best
when he said (heavily paraphrased) "Abiword is GPL, knock yourself out and send a
patch") but if it were done AS an IMPORTER. In other words, heavily ignoring things
that don't make sense to a paper document and with the absolute promise, on a
thousand stacks of whatever is sacred to you, that the code that get's
exported, should you choose to export it, will NOT be the code you
imported.

But then you'd have to ask, would the <AOL> user accept this or would the
abiword list get flooded with a few hundred emails per saying "duh, how
come my html is screwed up when I try to save it. I'm using AbiWord Html
Editor"

- Darren