Re: MS Word 5.1 Error

Subject: Re: MS Word 5.1 Error
From: Caolan McNamara (Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 03:24:42 CST

On 23-Nov-99 Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>According to Bill Tihen <bill@mail.tasis.ch>:
>> I have tried to import a Word5.1 document created on a Mac
>> with Mathematical equations -- I get an import error. In
>> fact, I have just tried importing old files create on a Mac
>> with 5.1 and none of them will import. I am using AbiWord
>> 7.6. MS Word 6.0 documents created on a Mac and Windows
>> seems to work just fine. (I don't konw about those with
>> equations).
>
>Word 5.1 File format is completely different. So that is not a
>bug, it is a feature.
>
>To developpers: is it possible to make sure the .doc file you get
>is an OLE file, and if not try to import it as a docfile
>stream... (because on this point Word 5.x Mac is not really
>different to a Word 6.0 docfile once OLE enveloppe has been
>removed) ?
>
>> Any ideas?
>
>Export to RTF and try again. Sorry.

I did receive the word5 specs recently, but its a very low
priority to add word5 support to the word importer module. Despite
the fact that word5 is very close to word6 without the ole2 streams
it is sufficiently different to cause problems. Though the is
library is set up to handle them in the future by pretending that
all "ole2 streams" point to the single unoled file that is the word5
file. It will work in the future, but not the very near future.

C.

>Hub

Real Life: Caolan McNamara * Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie * Phone: +353-86-8790257
Use 'unqualified' people