BeOS update

Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:59:18 -0400

All,

I finally got a few minutes this weekend to address
some of the features that the BeOS is lagging behind
in. Normally I wouldn't bother the list with these
updates, but I'm doing it in the hope that there may
be some BeOS lurkers who are looking for ways to help.

In any case, just checked in to the repository are
updated resource files for the font selection dialog,
zoom dialog and the spell dialog. I lost my screen-
shot of the paragraph dialog so it didn't make it.

To support these new resources I've added stub code
into the af/xap/beos and wp/ap/beos directories for the
appropriate dialogs. All that code does now is to
bring up the dialog when you select the menu item, there
is no meat behind the dialogs. Feel free to go ahead
and beat me to the punch on filling in that functionality.

Other things on the TODO list include (0(easy)-10(hard)):

- Fix the menus so that they have the proper menu
accelerator key (2)
- Add support for right click pop up menus (4)
- Fix the scrollbars to "Do The Right Thing" (6)
- Fix the key mapping and drawing code to properly
handle internationalization and non-latin chars (8)
- Fix the timer code to serialize to the window so that
events are only fired during idle periods (12)

I'm working my way through the harder issues first since
right now the timer stuff causes the app to crash in
a rather un-elegant manner, and it is a pain for all
those Norwegians to use AbiWord when it crashes every
time they hit a key. Of course if you look at the code
and see that there is a straightforward fix, feel free
to implement it, try it out and if it works then submit
it.

Just wanted to bring people up to date in case they
were thinking about diving into some BeOS code.

Thomas

Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf