Re: [win32] Build Issues: missing files

Subject: Re: [win32] Build Issues: missing files
From: Saint-Denis (stdenisg@cedep.net)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 13:35:02 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <mark.ellul@mbox.com.au>

> Hi all,
> I have just found out about Abiword and i am trying to build it. I have
> tried a build at the command prompt and the make files try to run an
> executable called 'o' and i cannot find this executable any where. If
> you could Please tell me what files i need to get or change not to call
> the 'o' executable it would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>
> Mark Ellul

From the make file output you supplied, i copy here an interesting part. It
is the part where the make issue it's first warning.
make[5]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/abi/expat'
/cygdrive/c/abi/abi/src/config/abi_rules.mk:157: warning: overriding
commands for target `/cygdrive/c/abi/abi/src/WINNT_4.0__/obj/libAbi_expat.'

The make program is constructing
`/cygdrive/c/abi/abi/src/WINNT_4.0__/obj/libAbi_expat.'. There should be a
file extension, but the make program does not see it. It should be building
the target library 'libAbi_expat_s.lib' in the same directory.

In my short two week encounter with AbiWord, i had strange make program
behaviour when i first downloaded Abi source file. The make program was not
fonctionning properly and showed partial file names. I used the following
command to help me understand what was appening:
make &> error.txt
It is the usual make command in the same directory, but the output and
standard error are redirected to a file. After execution, i edited the file
and could see even more text that could be seen on the display. Some text
was overlapping on the display!

My problem was due to the different ways Unix and Windows save end of lines
to files. I deducted that the make program used by Cygwin expect 'Makefile'
to be in Unix file format. I used an editor that gives the possibility to
save in Unix format and the problem went away. Since i would have to do the
same on every 'Makefile', i downloaded the 'lf' version of the sources
instead of the 'crlf' version, i do not have problems anymore. Thoses
sources are available in
http://download.abisource.com/releases/0.7.10/src/lf/

But take care, if ever you edit a 'Makefile', your editor could silently
introduce 'crlf' and you are in trouble again. I experienced this
substitution with the Visual C++ environment editor. For now on, i use a
different editor for 'Makefile'.

I suspect you are in the same kind of difficulty. But if your problem is not
the same, i suggest you change directory to '/abi/src/af/util/xp'. It is a
utilty directory with limited interactions with other directory. Try the
make there using the redirection to an output file. Hopefully, you will be
able to analyse what is appening.