Re: Abiword Documentation XML and Screenshots

Subject: Re: Abiword Documentation XML and Screenshots
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 02:14:36 CDT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Ashleigh Gordon wrote:

> RE:Abiword Help
>
> Actually, I have been discussing this with Karl Ove Hufthammer off the
> mailing list, among other things. I don't think that the majority of the
> help files really need to be in any particular language, as it's not too
> hard to get the meaning. However, I guess we could make each screenshot in a
> number of languages, but that would make the help files even bigger.
> Espicially if we ever translate them to other languages as well. If we were
> going to make a screenshot for each language then I think we would have to
> offer the manual as a seperate download, as it would be making Abiword
> pretty large.

Yes this occured to me too. However I think that the English help
file must have English icons. Maybe users in other languages are used to
seeing icons in English but an English user would certainly be put off if
they saw icons in French. Sorry to the Francophones but this is true.

<snip about xml>

> As for the margin files not being translated, I was unaware that we even had
> a margin help page. Could you please send me the file that you were talking
> about. Certainly all the help files in the original french version have been
> translated.

Just build the latest CVS, choose help and browse :-)

Cheers

Martin

PS. I'm still hoping for a nice description of Modeless dialogs :-)