Re: Colormap Problem

Subject: Re: Colormap Problem
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 04:28:20 CST

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Kevin Mills wrote:

 Hi,

 I also run RH6.0. Just tried to use AW on 8bpp display. I don't see any
'electric colors' as on your screen shot, independant of the window manager
(I tried KWM too) and order of starting netscape and AW I use. Everything
is OK for for such bpp. But I have more fresh version of gtk (1.2.3) compared
to the one shipped with RH6.0 (and pre-0.7.12 version of AW, though it seems
there were any changes in the area of colormap handling).

 So most probably it's old gtk issue. Please try upgrading it and reporting
results. Also you can try 0.7.12 AW (get it from
www.abisource.com/dev/binaries/).

> I have my system running 8 bit color (Redhat 6.0). I have to have
> this configuration so that specific
> applications that I display remotely from my work (on Solaris) display
> properly. This has a side affect
> with abiword though in that the display comes up with 'electric'
> colors. I scanned the FAQ section and
> could not see any reference to this color. Then again, I may the only
> person using LINUX with 256
> colors. Anyway, is there a way to configure AbiWord so that the screen
> is in grescale, or uses 'best color'.
> If I start Netscape first, the screen backgroun is better than if no
> other application is running. If I don't
> start netscape first, the background of AbiWord is 'hot purple'. Any
> help would be appreciated because
> it does function fine and does everything I need (version 0.7.11) Here
> is a screen capture showing how
> it looks AFTER netscape is running.
>
> Kevin

 Best regards,