Re: Commit: background color support

Subject: Re: Commit: background color support
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 11:25:45 CST

TF wrote:
>If you don't mind me asking ... why is this an essential feature to have
>in a real word processor? I'm not trying to pick a fight (or start
>a fire) I'm just wondering where people use a different background
>colour setting in their documents. I understand having a different
>foreground colour but have never personally used a different background
>colour in a word processor.
Personally, I've never really used foreground colors in a WP. Most school
papers just don't require it (in fact, they forbid it). Why BG color
support? Well,
1) Every other WP does, so there is definitely a precedent
2) It is useful for a bunch of things - like marking/highlighting text
3) MSWord has this feature called "comments" which I'd like to emulate
someday which requires BG color support
4) Borders and shading dialog requires BG color support in our drawing and
printing routines

I find it useful and it really didn't take all that much time to do. It
introduces no new bugs and 1 new feature.

>I'll refrain from voicing what I personally think should be
>priorities since we are all volunteers and work on what we
>want as we want it ... I was just curious where this burning
>demand came from.
Please voice what you feel are priorities. You may not be able to tell us
what to do, but you can sure sway some opinions and start people thinking.
We need a well-defined TODO list anyway before we hit 0.9.0 / 1.0

As to where the demand came from - I had an itch that I wanted to scratch as
well as a few hours of free time that I should've used to study for my
upcoming exams. I also have some other motives that I'd rather not discuss
on the list. If you're interested, drop me a line off-list.

Dom