Thai

Subject: Thai
From: Kevin Vajk (kvajk@ricochet.net)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 19:45:58 CST

I've been trying to get abiword to work in thai.

Here's what I did:
I had to put the fonts into their own directory (with the fonts.scale
file) and run mkfontdir to generate the fonts.dir file. Then I copied
the fonts into the abiword fonts directory. Then I edited the abiword
fonts.dir file, added the first line of the thai fonts.dir file to the
first line of the abiword fonts.dir file, and appended the remaining
lines of the thai fonts.dir file to the abiword fonts.dir file.
I was wondering if anybody could comment as to whether or not this
procedure is the right way to do things, as it seems a little hackish...

Also, why doesn't abiword include the fonts.scale file?

Now I'm wondering about the menu items. What determines the font for
these?

Also, I'm wondering if you guys are interested in foreign-language
translations from non-native speakers? My thai is fairly poor, but
maybe a poor translation is better than none at all, and I can borrow
from other free software which has been translated to thai (giving all
the appropriate credit, of course). What do you think?

Another idea occured to me, too. Assuming there's a better way to
add fonts to abiword (which doesn't involve this weird merging of
fonts.dir files), perhaps we should start making abiword-language
packages, containing fonts (and translations?), which can be dropped
on top of abiword so that people can get their own language going with
a minimum of effort.

Sorry if these questions seem naive. Using a foreign language on my
computer is an entirely new experience for me, so I barely even know
where to start.
Thanks a lot!

- Kevin Vajk
  <kvajk@ricochet.net>