Re: help

Subject: Re: help
From: Luke Jordan (ljordan@mweb.co.za)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 14:16:36 CST

Hi,

> Hi folks,
>
> I am currently expanding the Psion importer with bulleted paragraphs.
> Though I actually have got it working, it is mostly black magic to me.
> Perhaps somebody who is into lists can explain some things to me, or
> refer me to some documentation or mail conversation about this?
>
> Concrete questions at this moment are:
> * Where do you define the kind of bullet is used for the paragraph?
> Is it the numeric type attribute of the <l> tag, or is it
hardcoded to
> coincide with the style name? And in both case, would it not be
> nicer to be able to define any character for bullets?
Martin knows more about bullets than I, but AFAIK they're hardcoded,
with the match-up tables in fl_AutoLists.h

> * What does the list-delim attribute do? It is found in both the
> <l> tag and in the props attribute of the <p> tag. And why is it
> sometimes in both and sometimes only in the <l>?
list-delim states the text around the list element, with %L representing
the actual label. Thus "%L)" would map to "1)". It's in the <l> tag
because its really a list level property. It shouldn't be in the <p>
tag, though maybe Martin put it there to facilitate undo/redo.

> * How does the list-decimal attribute work? It is often set to "NULL".
> I presume it has something to do with numbered lists?
Yes. It defines the internal seperator of a multi-level list. If
list-decimal is "," then what is normally "1.1" would be "1,1".

> * What does the type attribute of the <l> tag mean? (see also my
> first question)
Pretty much the same as the style attribute on a paragraph, except a
paragraph could conceivably be set to a non-list style, so the formatter
looks to the list and its type for the label.

> * I presume the <field type="list_label"></field> actually displays
> the field label?
Right again.

> * The <c type="list_label"> tag sometimes spans only a tab, but
> sometimes the whole paragraph text. Is this a bug, or has this
> some special meaning? And what does this type setting mean?
This happens because the field sets a format mark which the next span
inherits (in this case type="list_label"). Setting the style of a span
back to normal will destroy this. No special meaning, but not a bug
(though if anyone can find a trivial way to stop this it'd be nice).

Thanks,

Luke Jordan.