Re: New Norwegian translation of AbiWord

Subject: Re: New Norwegian translation of AbiWord
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 20:02:44 CST

Karl,

Thanks to Google, here's the relevant IETF draft:

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alvestrand-lang-tags-v2-00.txt

Like many other such IETF drafts, this is written by Harald Alvestrand, a
Norwegian. In fact, he happens to mention Nynorsk as an example throughout
the document! :-)

While we don't strictly follow the IETF conventions in our names [1], it's
pretty easy to figure out the necessary transformation:

  IETF AbiWord
  ---- -------
  en-US EnUS
  no NoNO
  no-NYNORSK NoNYNORSK (or NoNynorsk)

I don't really have a personal preference on capitalization in that last
case. It looks like you get to establish the precedent in this case, so
feel free to choose the one which looks less ugly to you. :-)

The one solution I'd like to avoid is a KDE-style truncation which just uses
NY as the second part of the label. According to this document, good IETF
practice is to always parse two-letter subtags as ISO 3166 country codes.
Dialects should thus be spelled out.

Note that due to a recent change by Henrik Berg, the NoNO translation is
currently flagged as the default translation for No* languages. IIRC, this
means that anything missing from the NoNYNORSK translation should fall back
to NoNO instead of English.

If however, this is politically unacceptable, then we could have two peer
translations:

  NoBokmaal (replacing NoNO)
  NoNynorsk

However, I'd like consensus from all the existing Norwegian translators
before making this change.

Paul

[1] I forget *why* we don't just use strict IETF-style spelling of locale
names. Does anyone remember?