Re: commit -- *please read* switch hash files from zip to gzip

Subject: Re: commit -- *please read* switch hash files from zip to gzip
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 08:20:33 CDT

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> The Windows Weenie ( ;-) ) complained, so I took out compression of the
> dictionaries. He is right, by the way, as compressing hash files is as silly as
> compressing each individual .cpp file in the abi distribution.

Yes but for developers working where their connection to the world
is not a high speed on, then having these compressed versions sure
was nice so save on the download time. The fact that they are
compressed doesn't mean anything to the end user in the installation
you are right, but the people taking them out of CVS will notice
the difference.

Thomas

> CVS:
> CVS: Enter Log. Lines beginning with `CVS:' are removed automatically
> CVS:
> CVS: Committing in .
> CVS:
> CVS: Modified Files:
> CVS: abi/src/Makefile
> CVS: Added Files:
> CVS: abidistfiles/dictionary/BigEndian32.american.hash
> CVS: abidistfiles/dictionary/LittleEndian32.american.hash
> CVS: Removed Files:
> CVS: abidistfiles/dictionary/BigEndian32.american.hash.gz
> CVS: abidistfiles/dictionary/LittleEndian32.american.hash.gz
> CVS:
>

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>
> > OK, since the distribution is compressed anyway, I'll just make these
> > regular files. Thanks for letting me know that it broke the windows build
> > ( ;-) ).

> > > Other than the minor problems that there's 1) no tool included with
> > > Windows that will decompress gzipped files and 2) for some reason the copy
> > > of gzip included in cygwin won't decompress the files either, I think this
> > > is a great idea!!!
> > >
> > > 'Course if we had a working Win32 build in tinderbox you would know that.
> > >
> > > -Tom

Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf