Re: Feature suggestion. Word Count on import.

Subject: Re: Feature suggestion. Word Count on import.
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 09:29:32 CDT

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> I'm currently testing Jamie's new OLE-enabled wv. I'm importing a deadly
> Word file. So far the import has taken about 15 minutes. I'm not sure if
> I'm in an infinate loop. Anyway even on less deadly files loading files
> often takes a long time.
>
> What do people think about popping up an auto-updating Word Count dialog
> during a file loading so we can watch the load progress?
>
> It may not be hard to do this. If people think this is stupid because
> doing a word count on a loading file will screw up the process, please
> let me know!

I think that this is not so good. What I would rather
see is the new frame come up and be visible, and then
use the status area at the bottom of the frame to do
a nice XAP implementation of a progress bar. Essentially
a barber pole type of thing where we could overlay some
text perhaps indicating the number of lines processed,
or words or whatever.

I'm very opposed to popping up a Word Count dialog during
this process. I'd much rather see this be implemented
as a generic part of the progress bar (yes I'll volunteer)
in the status bar so we can use if for other things like
image loading and other possibly lengthy operations.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf