Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone

Subject: Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone
From: Big Ed (dysan_2000@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 12:10:19 CDT

Ok.. So far, very valid points. Here's what we need to look at though:

1) Support for existing macros in other WP's such as Word, Wordperfect, etc.
2) Complete conversion from one macro lang. to another.
3) An easy to read and learn language with enough barriers for security
purposes.

If VB is not the case (which I'm thinking of existing coders out there. I
personally hate VB myself), then what would be the alternative? Keeping in
mind that the language must be able to both parse text and perform math
exceptionally well.

Options thus far?
(NOTE: 'Scripter' refers to your avg. windows Office hacker)

*C/C++ - Too high level for most scripters...
*Perl - Great string parsing, not overly powerful with math (I've had
problems in the past with this)
*Python - Don't code enough in it to make a fair judgement.
*Java - Too high level for most scripters...
*JavaScript - What math precision?? What string parsing? Easy to learn,
however.
*Scheme - Appearently math intensive, however, math looks a little crazy to
me. Probably won't make much sense to avg. scripter. Honestly don't know
the language myself, so no fair judgement from me.
*Homemade scripting language - Viable? Possibly. But you're looking at a
rather healthy development time doing such. Even then, would you be
reinventing the wheel in the process?
*Effiel - I've heard of this, but have NO CLUE...
*VB clone - has the benefit of thousands already knowing it, yet security
problems are readily appearant.

Also, what is the GNOME group using for macros in Gnumeric? I'd assume
(though, those can get you killed...) that they have implemented some sort
of base-macro language. What are they using?

This is going to be a rather important piece of Abiword, and possibly Kword
as well. It should be decided correctly the first time around for good
exposure.

Big Ed