Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone

Subject: Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone
From: Dom Lachowicz (dominicl@seas.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 13:11:19 CDT

A couple of people have mentioned that Gnumeric has builtin support for VB via
GB(Gnome Basic). One person went so far as to say he "hated" GNOME because of
this :-) GB (like libole2) was built out of Gnumeric's need to read and write
MS Excel files. But I don't think that GB is quite as "flexible" across
platforms as libole2 is.

GB relys internally on both GTK+ and GLib. As Abiword isn't built with GTK+
across all platforms, using it in AbiWord would be especially non-trivial for
platforms where Gnumeric does not already run(IMHO).

However, looking at Gnumeric's internals and seeing how it handles VB might
be really useful. Look under plugins/gb/ and plugins/excel/

I'd personally like to see python support. Python is similar to VB and the
VB->python mapping might not be too hard. Actually, I'd prefer some sort of
CORBA interface so any language, "script" or not, could be used. Scheme might
be nice too, but the girls here in HR won't be able to use it :-)

Gnumeric: http://www.gnome.org/gnumeric/
GB: http://www.gnome.org/gb/

Dom
Former Gnumeric & GB Contributor