Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone

Subject: Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski (maniek@beer.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 14:56:31 CDT

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 12:10:19PM -0500, Big Ed wrote:
> Options thus far?
> (NOTE: 'Scripter' refers to your avg. windows Office hacker)
>
> *Perl - Great string parsing, not overly powerful with math (I've had
> problems in the past with this)

Problems with Perl ?
There are perl libs for *everything*, just visit CPAN.
What was your particular problem ?

> *Python - Don't code enough in it to make a fair judgement.

Quite overadvertised at point of ease of learning.
It has some problems if you learn it as second language.
(tuples and list instead of arrays, tab/space issue, auto-\n)
Don't know anyone who learnt it as first language.

> *Homemade scripting language - Viable? Possibly. But you're looking at a
> rather healthy development time doing such. Even then, would you be
> reinventing the wheel in the process?
  ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
Not necesarily re-inventing.
As you see there is no such language yet,
so we might end making great thing.
If writing spec takes more than an hour this language is too complex.
Plugin for guile shouldn't take too much for such a simple
language.

> *Effiel - I've heard of this, but have NO CLUE...

> *VB clone - has the benefit of thousands already knowing it, yet security
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> problems are readily appearant.

Is this for real or for marketing ?

Almost 100% MSWord users don't script. The only ones I know who do
are those who know some other programming except VB.

Consider also :
* smalltalk
really easy and very OO, but little known
* 100%-imperative special language
as one used in corewars
you simply run script externally, and open 2 fifos,
one abi->script second script->abi
internally script can be done in any language,
as long as it can print and get.
* some xml-specific language