commit -- overwrite mode

Subject: commit -- overwrite mode
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 15:42:36 CST

Overwrite mode, thanks to Alexey Sinutin <megabyte@salesexplosion.com>

  M src/af/xap/xp/xav_Listener.h
  M src/af/xap/xp/xav_View.cpp
  M src/af/xap/xp/xav_View.h
  M src/text/fmt/xp/fv_View.cpp
  M src/text/fmt/xp/fv_View.h
  M src/wp/ap/beos/ap_BeOSFrame.cpp
  M src/wp/ap/mac/ap_MacFrame.cpp
  M src/wp/ap/qnx/ap_QNXFrame.cpp
  M src/wp/ap/unix/ap_UnixFrame.cpp
  M src/wp/ap/win/ap_Win32Frame.cpp
  M src/wp/ap/xp/ap_EditMethods.cpp
  M src/wp/ap/xp/ap_FrameData.cpp
  M src/wp/ap/xp/ap_FrameData.h
  M src/wp/ap/xp/ap_LB_Default.cpp
  M src/wp/ap/xp/ap_Prefs_SchemeIds.h
  M src/wp/ap/xp/ap_StatusBar.cpp
  M src/wp/ap/xp/ap_String_Id.h

Notes, comments, etc:

1. Again, a full rebuild is recommended.

2. Most of the work here is Alexey's, but I did do a bit of polishing here
and there. Most notably, I changed things around to make this mode sticky
like other frame/viewport settings. (Consistency and predictability are
good things.) If this eventually turns out to have been the wrong decision,
we can always revert to his original app-wide logic later on.

3. While I was in here I saved Sam the work of implementing a profile
switch for InsertModeToggle. We ship with this behavior enabled by default,
but you can turn it off permanently by tweaking the profile. IMHO, this
option does not belong in the GUI.

4. As coded, overwrite actions take advantage of user-level globbing,
instead of having their own distinctive change record down deep in the piece
table. This means that successive overwrite actions can't be coalesced like
normal typing is. No biggie, though -- that's how Word works, too.

5. BTW, neither BeOS nor QNX has implemented View Ruler yet, but I did move
the prefs-driven initialization code to XP, which should simplify matters a
bit.

Enjoy!

Paul