Re: Tree Branched

Subject: Re: Tree Branched
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 15:45:51 CST

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 08:11:59AM -0500, Thomas Fletcher wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:
>
> > The tree has now officially branched, and is open for commits again.
> > People should begin building packages and binaries for their favorite
> > platforms. To do this, use the source on the branch labeled
> > release-version-0-7-12 . =20
> >
> > Binaries should be submitted according to the guidelines laid out in
> > my previous RFC, available at=20
> > http://www.abisource.com/mailinglists/abiword-dev/00/September/0233.html
>
> I think that you should be a little more explicit about the build
> instructions to maintain integrity between all of the releases.
> My additional suggestions would be to include step by step
> instructions for a _clean_ build:
>
> 1) Check out and build the source to a new clean location
> ie in unix style:
> % mkdir abirelease
> % cd abirelease
> # Assuming you have your CVSROOT or -d options set properly
> % cvs co -r release-version-0-7-12 <your components>
>
> NOTE: Only abi and wv seem to have the branch tag
> release-version-0-7-12. We are missing tags on the
> the following dirs:
> expat, libiconv, abidistfiles, zlib, libpng
>
> % cd abi
> % make distribution ABI_BUILD_VERSION=0.7.12 <your format>
>
> 2) Then take the md5 sum (post the source to an md5 check sum
> source code in C that can be compiled if your system doesn't
> have one ... or put source in cvs tree to check out).

These instructions are very good. I'll include them in the next
revision of the RFC.

Those modules have now all been tagged. That was my mistake.

A Win32 md5sum program is available from http://etree.org/md5com.html
A Unix md5sum program is available from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/textutils/textutils-2.0.tar.gz
The BeOS, from their online documentation, appears to come with an
md5sum utility. If it doesn't then the GNU tools should work.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
        GnuPG Key: