Re: The importance of the spellchecking non-English speaking countries

Subject: Re: The importance of the spellchecking non-English speaking countries
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 05:51:41 CST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Jordi Mas wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I just want to mention that for non-English speaking people, or people that
> can speak more than a language, the international spell checking support
> is important.
>
> Currently, I have been unable to make AbiWord work correctly with the
> Spanish, Catalan or anyother dictionary.
>
> I just want to know if there are plans to address this issue. I have been
> looking into it, but I do not know enought to fix it.
>
> I think that this is an important feature for lots of people.

Hi Jordi,
        We are currently moving away from an ispell based spellchecker to
 Pspell from Kevin Atkinson. I believe that Abi 0.7.12 compiled correctly
for RedHat 7.0 will Spell Check Languages other than English
(and do a much better job of guessing the word you meant). ispell is an
unmaintained mess, however Kevin needs help getting his system to work
correctly on non-Unix systems.

It would be great to hear from other distributions and to learn if they
also plan to migrate to Kevins Pspell/aspell.

Cheers

Martin