Re: support for Tables

Subject: Re: support for Tables
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 02:29:52 CDT

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> > AbiWord currently has the concept of a "container" that is used to contain
> > formatted text. (Look in fp_Column.cpp) These are presently used to
> > define columns and headers and footers. I believe it will be pretty easy
> > to add new types of containers like text boxes and frames. The part that's
> > not done will be to allow these to float around the page as if they are
> > images.
>
> How will it be implemented in the file format?

Ah this is easy. The same way headers/footers are which is to place an
additional attribute within a <section> tag.

> > Regarding equations in gnome there have been at least 3 attempts to start
> > an equation editor component but they've all been still born. Maybe after
> > Abiword gets bonobo support there will be sufficient motivation to finish
> > it off.
>
> BTW, what is AbiCalc? A spreadsheet program?

I believe that was the plan of the main authors of AbiWord. For various
reasons these (very talented) developers no longer spend much time on
AbiSource stuff. I think we will do well to just have a great Word
Processor.

Cheers

Martin