Re: morning hack...

Subject: Re: morning hack...
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 22:18:51 CDT

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 08:08:03PM -0700, Paul Rohr wrote:
> At 09:50 PM 4/12/01 -0400, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> >>Re. the current hacks going on I'm sure no one can really tell. :-)
>
> As my prior post suggests, Mike's point here is what I'm most concerned
> about. Finishing stuff is a *lot* more work than starting it.
>
> >>But do you agree about a month-long (or even longer if proven necessary -
> >>feature) freeze before 1.0? IMO it's crucial, but in this case I want
> >>everyone to be on the same track: Known "real" bugs == no release.
> >
> >An arbitrary-length freeze is essential. I volunteer to coordinate this.
>
> Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'm certainly also willing to continue doing the various release
managerish things I've been doing so far. I'm sure there will be
enough work to go around.

> >Continue hacking...
>
> This part worries me, though. Dom, are you volunteering to singlehandedly
> finish all the existing work while everyone else does the new hacking?
> That's noble of you, but it sounds pretty unfair, and conceivably
> overwhelming.

Well, since the CVS tree will be closed to fancy new features during
the freeze, I expect that there will significant incentive for other
people to help as well. I think bug squashing will definitely be the
order of the day.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dyndns.org/decss