Re: gdk-pixbuf vs. ImageMagick

Subject: Re: gdk-pixbuf vs. ImageMagick
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 14:03:37 CDT

At 02:27 PM 4/18/2001 -0400, Thomas Fletcher wrote:
>I'd be happy to see this miniMagick be introduced to give
>a common interface for all of our image import stuff. Not
>to mention the fact that it might allows us to scale the
>images in place for insertion into documents.

         And even post-insertion scaling...

> From there I would then say that we only support the
>png, jpeg (and bmp grudgingly) image types as built in
>and allow the user to place additional libs/modules
>as they please.

         That's fine with me, though Martin had also wanted to see SVG
support brought in via IM. I'm on the fence on that one since although it
removes the burden from us supporting it directly in AW, it means that we
wouldn't get the SVG data, only a raster - also it would mean including the
complete vector and text (FreeType) libraries from IM which aren't in modules.

>Does this sound feasible? Is it doable from your point f view Leonard?
         Definitely doable and feasible! I'd like to see additional
discussion about the SVG, etc. support but that can be above and beyond the
initial work to get a "miniMagick" in place.

LDR