Re: integrating bidi (was Re: version 1.0)

Subject: Re: integrating bidi (was Re: version 1.0)
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 17:43:19 CST

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Mike Nordell wrote:

> Paul Rohr wrote:
> > Unless one of the usual refactoring experts is ready to weigh in (soon)
> with
> > concrete suggestions about how Tomas' code could be factored even more
> > cleanly, it sounds like it's time to find ways to get this into the tree.
>
> I bite to the title, but I still think we simply should put it in. The
> longer we wait...
>
> If it turns out to be really bad (not that I think it will be, mind you) we
> can always fix it later. It is however hard to keep a patch up-to-date with
> our current commit speed. :-)
>
> I think it's better to do it, so just do it.

I played with Tomas's previous patch after making a hand merge into the
CVS version. I found lots of asserts but the code basically worked with no
segfaults. Tomas told me that he did not get the asserts that I was
getting, so it seems likely that I screwed up the hand merge.

Given that I did that AND the code still basically worked, I think the
code is good enough for now. I agree with Mike. Lets just do it :-)

In addition Tomas has shown a professional desire to fix bugs as soons as
they're found in his code.

So a big +1 from me.

Martin

PS. There was an interesting article on slashdot yesterday about the
troubles of using non-MS software in Israel. There have got to be a few
hackers interested in helping out once Hebrew support is in Abi.