RE: commit -- libglade support

Subject: RE: commit -- libglade support
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 11:28:09 CST

Dom wrote:

> >I didn't mention this earlier, because I thought (without actually
> >checking) that this was just a UnixGnome feature. However, it appears
> >to intorduce Gnome dependencies into the GTK version of AbiWord.
>
> You probably were downloading the wrong libs here. A GTK only version
> supposedly works just fine. I just think that the gnome ones are built by
> default, so this might be screwing up apt...
>
> >Additionally, the glade runtime has a dependency on libxml. Given
> >this, it seems there wouldn't be a point to still having expat.
>
> On libxml1 yes, not libxml2.
>
> >Further, this is *not* available on all Unices. What's the current
> >state of AIX packages for libglade? How about IRIX? We shipped both
> >of those for 0.7.12.
>
> True dat...
>
> >Unless there are satisfactory answers to these problems (like the
> >libglade maintainers promising that every release they make builds on
> >every Unix we have a makefile for) I'm going to invoke another feature
> >of the Apache voting system we've discussed, and veto this change.
>
> I say revert the changes to the unix and gnome dialog (and other
> files) but
> archive the Unix break dialog (in its current state) to src/glade
> for future
> reference.

I say: don't touch it (at least until lists dialog is finished).

Dom, how do you will feel if I ask you to remove gnome-print & gal support
from the gnome port because I can not use it in the uni? I think that the
smart reply will be: "that's your problem, not mine".

Well, sorry to be so arish, but if there are not libglade packages for AIX &
IRIX it's the problem of the AIX & IRIX porters. I will understand the
complains if it will be a *very hard* task, but I'm pretty much sure that
it's a relatively easy task.

What if I found an unix that doesn't has GTK+ 1.2? Should we drop the GTK+
"support"?

P.S.: Even if we decide to drop libglade support (for portability reasons,
or some other reason) it would be *REALLY COOL* to leave it *AT LEAST UNTIL
THE LISTS DIALOG IS FINISHED*.

--
Joaquin Cuenca Abela
cuenca@celium.net