BiDi plan of battle

Subject: BiDi plan of battle
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 13:22:49 CST

This is how I envisage the future work on the BiDi functionality:

Stage 1 -- geting it into the CVS, hopefully very soon.

Stage 2 -- implementing the interface for non-Unix platforms; willing
volunteers are sought to put in place around 6 checkboxes into
already existing dialogues.

Stage 3 -- modifying the importers/exporters, initially at least the
Word imp/exp.

Stage 4 -- a publicity campain. Being able to move this from
experimental stage to working and realiable feature will depend on
finding people who would be willing to use the BiDi enabled AW in
normal conditions and report problems back, particularly people for
whom BiDi is one of life's realities. Any suggestions where and how
to reach such willing (and patient people) would be welcome. (They
do not have to write code, although any hackers will, of course, be
more than welcome.)

Stage 5 -- making it a standard feature of AW. This should be a
mere formality, if stage 4 gets well of the ground.

In terms of a timetable, it is not realistic, I think, to expect to reach
stage 5 by version 1.0, but we should be somewhere in stage 4 by
then.

Tomas