Re: ttf printing

Subject: Re: ttf printing
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 01:10:54 CST

At 07:22 PM 2/10/01 -0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>I have now got the utility to generate afm files and glyph-name <->
>converison tables from Windows ttf fonts working, and for anyone
>interested it is attached. Together with the PS printing patch I
>posted couple of days ago, this makes it possible to use Windows
>ttf fonts both as screen fonts and for printing (or at least printing
>with Ghostscript), and at the moment it appears that this is the
>only viable option under utf-8 locale (quite appart from the fact that
>there are thousands of free ttf fonts around).

Wow! This sounds too good to be true. Getting TTF fonts to Just Work on
Unix (rather than just Type 1) has been a constant feature request for over
2 years now. Is today finally the day that this gets put to rest?

>I am wondering what to do with the utility -- perhaps it might go into
>abi/src/other and be build and installed in AbiSuite/bin for the Unix
>build.

Yep, but abi/src/tools or a peer module would probably be more appropriate.
The abi/src/other directory is for third-party stuff we've deliberately
forked.

Paul