Re: Reveal codes (was Re: Zero-length Runs and show codes)

Subject: Re: Reveal codes (was Re: Zero-length Runs and show codes)
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 13:59:20 CST

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com> writes:

Paul> At 07:57 AM 2/15/01 -0500, Randy Kramer wrote:
>> (Somehow I suspect you've thought about this occasionally. ;-)

Paul> The first time I understood what Reveal Codes was for -- ie,
Paul> Delete Unwanted Codes -- my immediate and visceral reaction was:

Paul> Ick. An ugly UI to make up for a fundamental design flaw.

Agree. But the design flaw was not that early WP didn't have the same
GUI widgets we now have in AbiWord to reflect the typeface at the
point of the cursor.

No, what it was needed for was cleaning up the mess of typeface codes
WP left behind when you edited text.

And show codes let you see immediately where in the document the cruft
is - with widgets providing the feedback instead you need to move the
cursor through the entire document to find those. Which makes it
impossible, I guess.

So if modern word processors leave the same kind of mess as WP did,
I'd argue that we actually do need the option - at least for the
control freaks :)

Jesper