Re: Different name extension for auto-saved files?

Subject: Re: Different name extension for auto-saved files?
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 09:36:02 CDT

Martin Sevior wrote:
> Hi Joaquin,
> It just occurred to me that having auto-saved files with an
> extension *.bak is perhaps not such a good idea.

I agree. But why not simply call a backup of file "foo.abw"
"Backup_of_foo.abw"? Why change extension if the file contents are the same
format as an already registered extension (for all non-BeOS systems that
don't have OS native MIME mappings)?

For the segfault-saver it's another matter since it has to work in a
confined space (preferrably only using already allocated memory) and the
result might not become a legal .abw-file, why I think the generic .bak is
OK.

/Mike