Re: Some bugs in windows/xp

Subject: Re: Some bugs in windows/xp
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 18:29:31 CDT

Michael wrote:

> Joaquin -
>
> On the Win platform, we are reusing and extending a
> lot of the common
> dialogs. As a result, we let the OS translate those
> dialogs. If the OS is
> not set for that language but AbiWord is you will
> get this mismatch of
> languages.

but I suppose that (for instance) the lists dialog is
build from scratch, and I'm seeing english messages
there

Maybe it's my fault (the OS is in spanish, but msvc is
an english version, if it makes a difference...)

> > 7. [Win] In the "Preferences" dialog box, the
> > "Spelling" tab has not enough space. The "Ignore
> > words in UPPERCASE" and "Ignore Internet and file
> > addresses" are cutted.
>
> Most of these resulted when I modified the
> Preference dialog to mimic the
> *nix layout. Unfortunately, some things are getting
> clipped.
>

> > And that's all the bugs that I've found after a 5
> > minutes look...
>
> Gee - I new the Win32 was a bit behind, but you are
> making me feel bad. :)
> Thanks for the review.
>
> Cheers!
>

> Michael D. Pritchett
>
> ps - Were you ever able to get Perl bindings to work
> under Windows?

I've only done a timid aproach. I've downloaded the
beast (ActiveState perl), and tried to compile it, but
I'm using win98, and it seems that you need the
command line of win nt (which it's more unix like) to
compile it.

I've tried with 4dos, and it has compiled a big part
of it (at least it has compiled DynaLoader, and that's
all that I need (I think)).

But right now I'm doing an UT_Set with O(log(n)) for
search, insertion & delete operations (backed by a
red-black tree).

When it will be finished (I have search & insertion,
and I'm doing delete right now) I will use it to fix
the bug about "saving images that are no more in use".
It will be cool to use it in the 0.9.x series to back
the pf_Fragments (that way we can change the O(n) of
insertions by O(log(n)) ).

Cheers,

P.S.: btw, it's only me, or is the profiler of msvc
even worse than gprof?

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
e98cuenc@yahoo.com