Re: Commit: A boat load of things

Subject: Re: Commit: A boat load of things
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 18:24:29 CST

At 04:08 PM 3/7/01 -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
>paul> Clearly, the recheck document button should *always* flush the
>paul> first two states, document-wide. Those squiggles all come back.
>
>I disagree strongly that this is clear. I can imagine a single person
>(me!) wanting it both ways at different times.

Then I have no clue what you really want. I thought you wanted two
operations:

  - the usual recheck button (unignore everything) and
  - a context menu (unignore this)

I agree with the former, and understand but disagree with the latter.

>paul> By contrast, the ignore property on referenced styles does *not*
>paul> get reset. That would mean automatically redefining that style,
>paul> or unapplying it, or something else, which is silly.
>
>It doesn't make sense to me to have "ignored" as a style attribute,
>regardless of any possibilities via accident of implementation. It's
>not a formatting thing, which is what people think of as the use for
>styles. It makes lots of sense to have "ignored" as an attibute of a
>structural element (e.g., ignore "this table" or "this cell in this
>table" or "this selection I just swept out with my mouse").

Let's not get too grandiose about it -- a style is a named set of props. If
it's not acceptable as a style, then don't add it to the file format at all.

Instead, let's just focus on getting Ignore All to persist, since that
feature is *much* more useful than a single-instance Ignore anyhow.

Paul,
getting a wee bit testy

PS: Is this whole conversation just a devious ploy to get me to finish the
feature myself? ;-)