TODO icons and labels (was Re: how should we localize locale names?)

Subject: TODO icons and labels (was Re: how should we localize locale names?)
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 08:04:21 CST

Tom Briggs wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Sam TH wrote:
>
> > I think the TODO icons actively make AbiWord less useful and harder to
> > use, and that therefore are not a good idea. People who are likely to
> > be willing to translate will notice the fallback text as well.
>
> I see your point, but I don't completely agree. I think that people
> seeing the fallback text are just as likely to think that AbiWord hasn't
> been correctly internationalized as they are to think that that
> particular string needs to be translated.

and they will be right.

If I understand the thread correctly, they are people that thinks that
TODO icons motive translators to fully translate menu bar & toolbar
labels/icons... but really, the TODO icons only gives away the
opportunity to foreign users to use this icon/bar item (believe me, this
time I really know what I'm speaking about).

Translators don't need TODO icons to remember where are the untranslated
items, and you can not force them to translate anything. For instance,
I'm the maintainer of the spanish translation, and when I see a TODO
label or toolbar item, it only gives me a reason to change the LANG to
en_US. If you use french

It's already too hard to foreign users to use AbiWord without the TODO
icons (for instance, it's no trivial to run abiword with a spanish
spellchecker). We don't need to do it artificially harder.

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
cuenca@celium.net