Re: TODO icons and labels (was Re: how should we localize locale names?)

Subject: Re: TODO icons and labels (was Re: how should we localize locale names?)
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 12:47:33 CST

Tom Briggs wrote:
> Then I submit to you that you shouldn't be maintaining the Spanish
>translation.
> Maybe falling back to English works for you, but what about those
>people that don't speak English? TODO icons are as incomprehensible to
>them as English icons - why place the burden on the user when we should be
>placing it on the translator?

I'd argue against this point. Perhaps with menus your point is more valid,
but there are certain simple icons marked TODO in certain translations that
are simply universal. Consider the Open, Save, or Print icons, for example.

Defaulting to the English gives the user a chance at figuring out what this
icon/menu item does, if he/she knows some english. Defaulting to TODO gives
us a bad rap and gives users no idea of "what's behind door #1."

Dom