Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.

Subject: Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 11:10:20 CST

At 01:22 AM 3/16/01 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
>This is what MS Word does and I believe that it is not optimal. If I want
>to edit a header/footer I should just be able to edit it by just clicking
>in the header/footer region without doing anything else.

Definitely. This is the ideal way to edit something in a direct
manipulation interface. Click and type. :-)

As mentioned in a prior note, they trigger this behavior by double-clicks
instead of single-clicks. (Since it's extra work to implement it this way,
presumably they did this as the result of specific usability tests. My only
guess why people would want single-clicks ignored there is that it made it
*too* easy to get into editing mode for the h/f when you spend 90+% of your
time editing the main body.)

The menu is just another affordance for the same behavior. It's especially
useful for adding new headerrs and footers, because it's less "obvious" that
clicks there would do any good.

>I won't be dogmatic about this but I do think this is more in line with
>what a non MS Word using Church Secretary would expect.

Anyone know any? :-)

Seriously, this is an excellent point. It's always useful to know what the
expectations of, say, WordPerfect users would be. There aren't anywhere
near as many of them, and the WP user experience isn't always as GUI-driven,
but we should also take those expectations into account.

Paul