Re: Topic: Tables and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Tables and 1.0
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 19:40:30 CDT

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 10:55:10AM -0700, WJCarpenter wrote:
> eric> I'm glad we agree, mostly. The only pushback I will offer, to
> eric> you and to others here, is this: Believing that the dynamics of
> eric> your team are different from a "corporate" team is an illusion.
> eric> Lots of corporate teams also get to choose their feature set.
>
> I think you have missed the point. It's not the dynamics of the team
> (though I do disagree with what you said above). It's the nature of
> the product.
>
> People have made comments to the effect of users being denied access
> to AbiWord until it "ships" or is labelled as "1.0". In most
> corporate/product worlds, users don't get access to new stuff before
> or between major shink-wrapped releases. The best you usually get
> (and you usually don't get even this) is patches for big problems.
> Who hasn't been trapped waiting for some interesting thing because
> it's blocked by some other thing that has to be in the big bang
> release?

This is true, and people can get the product any time they want. But
most people, and especially most people in the target audience, won't
get versions that aren't released. And they will be lots more
comfortable with a release called 1.0 than one called 0.8.13, or
whatever. That may be illogical, but it's reality.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss