RE: Styles again.

Subject: RE: Styles again.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 19:39:25 CDT

On Sun, 13 May 2001, WJCarpenter wrote:

> ms> What I want to do is define a style like "LightBlue". All this
> ms> does is change the colour of a paragraph to "LightBlue" leaving
> ms> all other properties untouched. The "delete properties" button
> ms> allows this for the definition but the application of the style
> ms> screws things up.
>
> So, in this kind of scheme, you could have multiple styles, each of
> which defined a few attributes, and they would stack in some
> particular order to give one consistent result? Sounds cool.
>
> So, you manually set the paragraph color to "DarkRed", it shows dark
> red. You then apply a style defining paragraph color as "LightBlue".
> That blocks the "DarkRed" but all other attributes shine through. The
> paragraph now shows as light blue. Later, you go back and get rid of
> that style (from the stack of "styles that apply here"). "DarkRed"
> now can shine through again, and the paragraph shows in dark red. All
> other attributes, like fonts, weights, spacing, are unaffected by this
> example but could have been affected by other styles one happened to
> apply.
>
> Is that what you're saying?

It would not be sophisticated enough to do stacking. Changing the color
property would only affect the color property of the text. The paragraph
would have the most recent color property only. If the color property was
deleted from the style then the paragraph would just have the recently set
value for color.

Say for example I have a mixture of symbol's and text in a paragraph. I
want to define a style that will just turn everything a shade of light
blue and leave all the other properties, like font-family and font-size,
italics intact. Right now setting a style without a defined property puts
that property to it default value. This screws up using styles to set
custom colours as needed.

>From a UI standpoint this could be implemented by leaving the
"basedon" property blank. If "basedon" is blank or undefined or "none" the
style does not reset undefined properties.

Otherwise the style is a diff from the "basedon" style. Undefined
properties take on the values in the "basedon" style. This is what is
currently implemented.

Cheers

Martin