Re: Ready for the Big Time!

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 09:59:46 EDT

    Hello there,

    On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 14:23, Calvin Arndt wrote:
    > > I just checked your link for the Abiword template and got the
    > > following error
    > > (using IE 6.0):
    > > The XML page cannot be displayed
    > > Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error
    > > and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    > These errors most likely occur because M$ rewrites standards put forth
    > by W3C and many other standards associations to suit themseleves.

    If this is true, I do not think we should support them by validating
    their errors.

    > It is highly recommended that you do not support this activity (indeed
    > legitimizing that same activity) by using their products.

    That is but one of the many motives to avoid using proprietary software.

    > To the developers of AbiWord:
    > AbiWord should be tested rigorously against the defacto standards.

    I think you mean official standards.
    What is the defacto standard for text sharing? ms word doc
    What is the standard for text sharing? text/plain

    > Please do not make any considerations here for M$ products. Indeed when
    > possible this project should make sure its output does not work with M$
    > products (except word).

    I disagree, we should have the uttermost respect and considerations for
    standards. If other products that we can interact with have bad
    implementations, we can (optionally) be nice to them, but we should note
    to the user that the other product has bad quality.

    > When AbiWord gains worldwide usage/acceptance,
    > I guarantee you M$ will make note of that fact by making your excellent
    > product non-functional in their environment.

    Microsoft is absolutely irrelevant. In this moment right now, software
    patents (legally soon in the European Union unless we stop them), the
    DMCA and it's european friend EUCD (member-states must implement untill
    the end of the year), and other laws in the like are our biggest
    concerns. They can, and will, provide the law-tools to stop all
    competing software development.

    > Sometimes in the course of x86 computing, using M$ OS's becomes
    > unavoidable. I'm am currently stuck in this situation at the moment.
    > I also prefer open source software. However in the Windows environment
    > there is no alternative to Opera... Mozilla is way too slow and a huge
    > resource hog, not too mention unreliable. (Caused by M$) There are no
    > others worth mentioning...

    The only solution is to avoid using proprietary software (Microsoft's in
    this casa) altogether.

    Hugs, rms

    + So let's do it...?