Re: commit: abi: UTF8String class

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 05:36:14 EDT

     --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote: >
    Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote in

    news:20020422014326.50946.qmail@web9608.mail.yahoo.com:

    > >> ISO 10646 calls UTF UCS.
    > >
    > > UCS is a Character Set.
    > > UTF is a way to encode a character set.
    >
    > Yes, I know. I was a bit unclear. What I *meant* is
    > that UCS-X is
    > ~the same thing as UTF-YY. E.g. UCS-2 (in ISO 10646)
    > equals UTF-16
    > (in Unicode).

    As far as I know, this only holds for UTF-32 == UCS-4.
    UTF-16 supports surrogates and UCS-2 does not.
    In practice this rule gets broken by Microsoft who
    call their 16-bit format "Unicode" and it can behave
    like either UCS-2 (default) or UTF-16 (registry
    tweak).

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com