Re: Pango?

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 01:00:00 EDT

    On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, [iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar wrote:

    > > > Since the new Gnome has Pango built in and used
    > > > everywhere, how does gnomeprint cope in the new
    > > > Gnome?
    > >
    > > I agree again. I don't know if printing has been
    > > thought all the way
    > > through. Someone remarked that pango next generation
    > > would have a printing
    > > component.
    >
    > Even without pango aren't we going to have the exact
    > same problems between various font formats, the
    > screen, and the printer? Shouldn't we even have such
    > problems now? Do we have them now? How do we handle
    > this now? Do we convert all glyphs to postscript and
    > if so, why can't we just keep doing this?

    Yes. Provided we have access to the font afm's we can do as well as we do
    now with our own print-engine if we can find a sane map between
    screen fonts and postscript fonts. However the issue of kerning has not
    been adressed yet.

    One hope I had for the next itteration of the code base was to fixup the
    current unixfont mess. I think this is where freetype comes in.

    Regarding anti-alaising, gtk 2.0 will do this for us in our drawing area
    too.

    (At Least I think so I haven't actually written a test program against gtk
    2.0 to be sure.)

    Cheers

    Martin