Re: AbiWord Font Usability question

From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 06:45:04 EDT

    Illustrator doesn't list fonts in their own styles, and I find this
    slightly frustrating, but from the point of view of implementation and
    speed I dislike the idea of rendering all font names in their own face. A
    simple combo listing all available fonts is what most people are used to
    and it will suffice.

    However, there are times when you're looking for a style of writing and
    it's painful to select each font individually. A preview box, either as a
    popup window or as a special toolbar (or toolbar button) would, IMO, be
    ideal. Perhaps both - the popup to display like a tooltip any font you
    linger on for more than 1s while scrolling through the combo, the toolbar
    [button] to display the currently-selected font.

    Thoughts, Frank

    Francis James Franklin
    F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

      `Medium atomic weights are available: Gold, Lead, Copper, Jet, Diamond,
    Radium, Sapphire, Silver and Steel.
      `Sapphire and Steel have been assigned...'