Re: pdf plugin changes

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 11:56:06 EDT

    > >Also, why are you doing this through an import/export mechanism? Doing it via
    > >inheriting the Graphics class and then printing the document to that
    > >graphics class seems like it would make a lot more sense, at least to
    > >me.
    >
    > For the same reason that you did it that way, Dom - you get
    > access to things that the graphics layer doesn't such as bookmarks,
    > hyperlinks, etc.

    That's a *really* large cost to just get hyperlinks and bookmarks. Quite
    personally, I'd much rather have a 100% graphically accurate
    representation of the document without hyperlinks and bookmarks rather
    than having to integrate an entire layout engine to do the same thing,
    not to mention that the output of its layout engine and Abi's would have
    to be identical for anyone to be seriously interested in the resulting
    PDF.

    And for the record, the reason I did it via our own layout engine was:

    1) For a test of said layout engine
    2) For a test of the PDF drawing/editing/generation library that we
    wrote, that the layout engine used
    3) Because non-GPL code can't be linked into AbiWord code

    All reasons were equally important. At no point did bookmarks and
    hyperlinks enter my judgement - partially because I didn't view them as
    absolutely important to the future of my test, and partially because
    those features hadn't been implemented in AbiWord yet. GnomePrint also
    did quite a good job, and did it via the "Graphics Class" idea that I
    suggested. Just FWIW...

    --
    Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com>